This carriage is similar to NSR 061 and has the same style of square panelling, but
the waist panels are shallower and it has rounded window bolection mouldings, indicating
that it is probably of slightly later building date. Indeed it may date from after
1876, the time the North Staffordshire Railway began to adopted a "waistless" panel
style very similar to the LNWR for its prestige new six-wheeled stock, and altered
the style of its humble four-wheeled stock too. In any case it must have been built
by 1884 as (apart from a couple of workmen's vehicles) the NSR built its last four-wheeled
carriages that year. It was probably built at Stoke Works, but may have been part
of an order for a whole train from and outside contractors. At 22 feet in length
it is 2 feet longer than number 61, but it ran on basically the same design of simple
12'0" wheelbase underframe and 3'6" Mansell wooden centred wheels.
Inside it was initially very similar to number 61, with just a single partition in
the middle and two oil lamps, each serving two compartments. The main difference
was 6 inches extra legroom in each compartment. However the fact that there are six
oil lamp holes in the roof reveals a key modification at some time. Two additional
thin partitions were added to make four separate compartments, for which four later
lamp holes were cut. The mortice joints for the later partitions can also still be
A replacement five compartment third class carriage was built in 1902. As a result
number 127 would have been relegated to the duplicate list that year (renumbered
0127), and probably ended up on workmens trains for colliery workers. Eventually
it would have gone into storage at Cockshute carriage sidings in Stoke, pending breaking
up. One way or another, its body soon found its way to Waterhouses, on the famous
narrow gauge Leek and Manifold Light Railway, which provided a last resting place
for many old NSR carriages as waiting rooms, cycle sheds and stores.
After arrival at Foxfield Colliery the body of number 127 was used as a workshop
and store for carriage and wagon spares. The missing door was replaced with a steel
one from a much more modern vehicle. Some preventative maintenance was been carried
out on the body to keep the roof watertight, but its condition gradually deteriorated
and the glass was vandalised.
When Foxfield Wood sidings were cleared in 2007 it was obvious to a small group of
working members at the railway that a salvage plan was needed if the body was to
survive at all, and its restoration would be a far greater task than that carried
out on number 61.
On 1 July 2007 the body was moved onto a temporary underframe, sheeted, and moved
to the Colliery Yard. In spring 2008 it moved down the line to Caverswall Road station,
together with the underframe to be modified to enable number 127 to run again. This
comes from BR 13 ton Pipe Wagon number B741715, which was acquired in 1994 for the
purpose. The "new" underframe was a product of Wolverton Works in 1956, is already
vacuum fitted, it has been extended by 6 inches, by modifying the buffer planks at
each end. The chassis is now ready for the fitting of the body.
The body has now had almost all extra non-original items removed, and some of the
rotten panelling. The upper frame is in good condition, but probably only one of
the doors is worth saving. The lower framing and panelling will be almost entirely
replaced. Some of the door jambs and other vertical timbers are reusable, but new
metal corner brackets will be needed.
The NSR Board decided to strip a batch of old carriages (stored at Cockshute) from
their underframes for this purpose in November 1907, so number 127 had certainly
been withdrawn from any active service by then.Some time after closure of the Leek
and Manifold Light Railway in the mid 1930s the body of number 127 was moved to a
farm at Ecton, also in the Manifold Valley, where it was used as a store shed. A
doorway was cut into one end and all the partitions were removed. Unfortunately one
of the original doors was lost and the floor entirely rotted away, but it was rescued
for preservation in 1980 when the owner kindly presented it to Foxfield.